Breast Reduction is also known as Reduction Mammoplasty. Breast Reduction is the best choice for those women who wants to reduce the breast size or extremely large breasts. It is a procedure that removes skin, fat, and tissue while lifting the breasts, to alleviate the discomfort associated with overly large breasts. It reshapes the breasts so that they are proportionate to the rest of your body.
Cost of Surgery
Breast Reduction cost varies from $3000 to $8000 depending on other factors and one geographic area to another.
Extra large or heavy breasts can cause emotional, and health issues. In addition to these problems, you may also experience physical pain. The weight of heavy breasts can impair your ability to lead an active life. So, Breast Reduction is a good solution if you:
- Don’t smoke
- Are physically healthy
- Feels that your breasts are too large
- Shoulder indentations from bra straps
- Finished having children and breastfeeding
- One breast that’s much bigger than the other
- Have backaches, neck aches, or skin irritation
- Poor posture or numbness in parts of your breasts
- Are self-consciousness about the largeness of your breasts
Breast Reduction surgery generally takes three to five hours. There is usually no need for an overnight stay after the surgery.
First, your skin will be marked by a surgical marker to indicate where the incisions will be made. These markings or indication signs are necessary because the breasts change its shape when you are lying on your back.
You get general anesthesia for the surgery. The incisions will depend on the breast size such as breasts sagging, nipple-areola location. If Areolas are too large, then it can be made smaller. After the incision, excess fat, skin, and tissue will be removed with a scalpel and/or cautery instrument based on the size breast you desire. If your breasts are uneven or unequal, then the excess part is removed from one breast. After that, the breast skin and fat will be reshaped to create a symmetrical and more youthful breast. The incisions will close with sutures.
The Breast Reduction procedure helps to alter the weight, firmness, size, and shape of the breasts. You may decide to have breast reduction surgery.
Feel more comfortable – Heavy breasts cause health issues such as neck and back pain, posture problem, skin irritation. It reduces limitations and embarrassment during participating in sports or other activities due to the heavy breast. Many times, some physical activities are also painful and awkward for women having large breasts.
Alter your appearance – Large and heavy breasts are embarrassing, when they are out of proportion to your weight and height. Young Women and teenagers, especially having large breasts, feel self-conscious in wearing swimsuits and other clothing.
- Breast Reduction always leaves some scars on the breasts. But the scars varies from person to person, the type of incision. Usually, scars fade over time. But in some cases, scars remain very noticeable long after surgery.
- Unevenly positioned nipples or breasts that are not the same size or shape.
- Inability to breastfeed after surgery
- Less commonly, damage to the breast’s blood supply may occur during surgery. This may delay the skin’s healing process. Loss of part or all of the nipple and areola can also occur sometimes.
- Excessive bleeding during surgery.
- Reaction to the anesthesia
These risks can be serious or even life-threatening, but they rarely occur.
Discomfort and Soreness – Discomfort and Soreness are very common health issues after any kind of surgery. It is quite tolerable, especially after the first few days. Pain medication can heal this soreness.
Bruising Around the Breasts – Bruising is one of the common side effects of the surgeries. To reduce bruising, refraining from strenuous activities and resting well are good ways.
Swelling of the Bustline – Swelling is normal in the early part of the healing process. Wearing Surgical bra/dressings and resting well as instructed helps in keeping swelling manageable.
Changes In Sensation – After breast reduction surgery, you might experience a different type of sensation on the nipple areas and on breasts.